2022 Youth Concerto Competition
The Ukiah Symphony Orchestra is now inviting entries to our
Youth Concerto Competition!
Youth Concerto Competition!
We are launching our first youth concerto competition for our 2021–2022 concert season! The Ukiah Symphony will provide the winning soloist(s) an opportunity to perform with us at our May 2022 concert.
We are inviting entries to our concerto competition by the deadline of Sunday, January 16th, 2022. (updated)
Eligibility: The competition is open to middle and high school musicians (grades 6-12) on any instrument or voice. See the entry form for complete guidelines.
Repertoire: Entrants select the work and movement you would like to perform. You are highly encouraged to confirm the feasibility of your repertoire in advance by sending an email to us at email@example.com.
Virtual Audition: Record a video of you performing your selected piece with or without accompaniment. Upload your video file to YouTube as an unlisted video and complete the entry form to submit the link no later than 11:59 pm Sunday, January 16th, 2022. (See video recording tips below.)
Prize: Competition winners will be invited to rehearse and perform their selected work and movement with the Ukiah Symphony Orchestra before a live concert audience at the Mendocino College Theater at the May Concert in 2022. Each winner will also receive a $100 award from the Ukiah Symphony Orchestra Scholarship Fund.
Entry Form: Click here or below to complete the entry form.
Entry Fee: To help cover the costs of administering the competition and concert, the competition includes a $20 entry fee. However, we will waive this fee for any student for whom it poses a barrier to entry. We welcome and encourage entrants from all whom are interested. You can pay online by credit card, or by mailing us a check.
- Click here or below to pay online.
- To pay by check, write the check to "Ukiah Symphony Association", add YOUR NAME and "USO 2022 Concerto Competition" to the Memo field on the check, and mail to: Ukiah Symphony Association, PO Box 892, Ukiah, CA 95482.
Results: A panel of judges will review submitted material, and competitors will be notified of the results on or before Friday, January 21st, 2022.
Questions?: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips for recording and submitting your video audition:
- Don’t worry about how the video looks — only about how your performance sounds!
- You can use any video recording device you have access to — even a cell phone — but make sure the device is close enough to you to record high-quality audio.
- The easiest way to share your final video is by uploading it to YouTube. Step-by-step instructions are available at: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407. You will need to create a YouTube account if you don't have one.
- Before you start uploading, change the YouTube privacy setting for your video to “Unlisted.” This will ensure that your video is only viewable to someone who has the link. It will not be searchable. If the judges are unable to access your video, your application will be dismissed.
- If you prefer, you can also send us a shareable link to listen to your video file via Google Drive, Dropbox, or another file-sharing service. Just make sure the settings allow anyone with the link to view it! E-mail the link to email@example.com.